Stadium Talk's Top 10 Stories of 2018
Another year, another 365 days of opportunity for the sports industry.
The entire global sports market is worth an estimated $600-$700 billion with growth potential that outpaces the GDP of some countries. In North America alone, the sports market generated $71.2 billion in revenue in 2018. That number is projected to reach $73.5 billion by 2019 and $80.3 billion by 2022.
While economic uncertainty remains a reality, the sports business shows no signs of veering away from its mantra: Show us the money.
Stadium Talk launched in September to show you the stories about the sports world and spark conversations for every kind of fan.
These were our 10 most impactful stories out of the gate.
Bonus: How to Bet on Sports, Pat Pickens
The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for states to legalize sports betting. Here's what you need to know to get in on the action.
10. Toughest Athletes Who Ever Lived, Andrew Champagne
We can’t measure grit, but these men and women set the standard for intestinal fortitude during their playing careers.
9. Most Underrated Boxers Ever, Allen Barra
Great isn’t always famous, especially in the sweet science.
8. The Baker Mayfield Story, Dustin Turner
No one should be surprised if the Browns’ latest savior turns the NFL into Believeland. He has been converting doubters his whole life.
7. Around the World in Soccer Goalkeepers, John Brewin
Keepers no longer have to be crazy, though it can help. A former international coach and scout rates today’s top glove wearers.
6. Best College Football Tailgate Experiences, Chris Girandola
Looking for food, fun and pigskin? You’ve come to the right place. These schools party like pros on game day.
5. The Richest Pro Wrestlers of All Time, Ross Kelly
The action in the ring still is scripted, but the money always has been 100 percent real.
4. Counting Down the 30 Greatest Bowlers in History, Craig Lazzerettti
As “The Big Lebowski” reminds us: “This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.” There’s also a whole subculture for a cult classic sport.
3. Most Expensive Baseball Cards Ever Sold, Sheng Peng
Hope your parents didn’t throw away any of these treasures.
2. Best Basketball Player From Every State, Derek Tahara
Before they were pros, stars and legends — they had to start somewhere.
1. Top 40 High Schools That Have Produced NFL Players, Ross Kelly
High school football has become more than local news. Did your alma mater make the cut?